Saturday, November 14, 2009

Saturdays are spiffy: Old bones

Today is a Saturday. I am deciding to write some prose, that is not a short story. Yes, I just put a comma there, and it was not necessary. People think that just because you are a writer you have to be grammatically correct. I think because I am a writer I do not have to be. And I encourage my students to do the same. This might not be so great for them, in others opinions, but to me what matters most is that they are able to manipulate and control language themselves and not vice versa. WHEW. I love to talk about teaching.

Jonathan, my boyfriend, watches football, while I type, listening to Titanic songs in the background. There was a time when I was in love with Leonardo DiCaprio. That time has passed.

Since I didn't do much interesting today, I will talk about an interesting memory I have. Actually, no, that's a lie. I did something interesting today. I went to Starbucks with Jonathan and got a decaf nonfat latte and we shared a pumpkin scone. I felt like those old couples you see (I see) at Border's who get decaf nonfat lattes (probly) and share some type of scone or some other denture friendly (I just spelled that dencher, and then stared at it perplexed for a few seconds!! haha) pastry, though most pastries are denture friendly. Sometimes I think Jonathan and I are "old bones." Don't know where I heard this expression; but I know I have. How do you know if you're old bones? (Maybe it's an "old soul"; same diff). This is how you know:

If when you wake up in the morning you feel a special attachment to mornings, and you feel that just being alone in mornings fills you up.

If when you get into a fight with a person you feel like there are lots of littler people inside of you all fighting back with their tiny fists, and that you have to listen to them, even though some of them might be wrong.

If when you see something wonderful or do something wonderful or even experience anything that is intense for a long enough duration it makes you want to cry. You feel alone and overexposed and it is strangely freeing.

That's it. I bet everyone could say they are "old bones." I doubt it though.

Enough! What is going on in the football game? I wonder if there will ever be a) a female football league and b) a female announcers. The TV here is so far away and so small. Tonight I am going to the movies to see Pirate Radio. Hopefully it's good!! I don't know who to end blogs/anything. I'm going to make it easy and just stop.



ps was editing the blog and jonathan says: "that guy's name is Service!!!" yes, service. COOL

No comments: